Hey all. I know I hail from the dirty TF2 division, but hear me out.
So, I have long been interested in playing EVE, mostly because I have been sick of playing all the WoW-alikes out there. But I have always been hindered by several issues:
1. I am in high school, and thus have never had the time to dedicate to it.
2. I have never had enough money to subscribe to the game continuously .
3. My internet connection has never been that good.
4. My computer is a good two years behind the curve. In case anyone cares, here
is my spec. It comes from the DXDiag utility that comes with Windows. It ain't 3DMark06, but it works.
Now, two of those will hopefully be resolved soon. I will be a senior in HS come this September. So I will be going off to college soon. And hopefully, if I get to go to NC State, I think I will have a much better (gigabit) connection. And during college I will hopefully be working, so I will have some spare money to subscribe. This leaves my computer, a shitty Dell Studio 1550 laptop. Now, I've already told my parents I want a new PC as a graduation gift, as opposed to a car, and am willing to pay for half. If they decide against this, I will also be saving up to buy it myself if I need to. So I am assuming I'll have up to $1300 to work with (maybe $1100 if I have to pay for it myself).
So, I have three questions:
1. Can I get away with a brand name PC (i.e. Asus or Alienware) or is it better for me to get one custom built?
2. If I can use a brand name rig, what do you suggest, keeping in mind my budget?
3. If I should get a custom rig, what do you suggest in terms of specs? I'm not specifically looking for something that runs 60fps on everything maxed out, but at the same time I don't want something that I have to turn everything down to get 60fps.
For #3, exact specs are nice, since it makes my life easier when it comes to ordering. But I would actually prefer general suggestions, because that way I can maybe learn a bit about the tech myself, so I don't have to do this next time I go to buy a PC.
I know that's a lot of specifics I'm asking for, so if you don't wanna answer, its fine. But I want to start planning this out now, and I thought "Who better to ask about a rig to play EVE than EVE players."